Old 16-09-2008, 06:05 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Domprobst AP#10

On Sep 16, 11:30�am, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

�"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 15, 11:36?am, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 14, 8:25?pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 4:04?pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across
six
bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst
AP#10
so I
popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the
cork.
Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a
many
Mosel
wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking.
Floral
notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was
very
smooth
and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel
and
squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

Sounds great. I love Willi S, but mostly buy a bit cheaper,
kabinetts
and spatlesen.

I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate
his
cellar to get cash. ?I paid $40/bottle for the six bottles along
with
about 3 mixed cases of different stuff. ?I just checked the price
online and was shocked to see prices close to $80.

Wow $40 for that. I never luck into deals that good.- Hide quoted
text
-

It's amazing what the IRS can do!

Was the IRS the motivation to sell?- Hide quoted text -

Yes. ?The tax bill had to be paid and he had to raise money quickly
from qhat I understand. ?Probably not the first time that somwone has
sold off their collection at a loss to pay off a tax debt and
personally ?I'd rather give the wine away than have Uncle Sam seize it
and have it languish in a 100F warehouse for ten years while they sort
things out.

I never seem to luck into these things. Good job hunting or was it a
friend?- Hide quoted text -

A friend of mine knew this fellow and of his need for quick cash. �I
went to the man's home and checked out his cellar...well kept at 55F.
He had a lot of high end California offerings, Opus One, Cardinale,
Dominus, Silver Oak, a few cases of first growth Bordeaux from
2000-2005 the cellar contents were fairly newer vintages from about
2000 on with a ton of California chardonnay from bulk producers so I
assumed that either he or his wife/"significant other" drank a lot of
chardonnay.

So did you purchase more from him especially some of those high end cabs?- Hide quoted text -

No, I have enough Cal Cabs going back to the mid 70's to last two
lifetimes. I'm up to about 5500 bottles of various stuff and at 57 I
need to really get busy.....I don't want to leave too much for the
kids!