Posted to rec.food.preserving
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Pickled avocado?

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Wilson > wrote:
> >
> >> sometime in the recent past ChattyCathy posted this:

> >> I've never heard of it, but it would seem that a ripe avocado would be too
> >> soft to pickle in the usual sense, IMHO.

> > How about an unripe one? Like using an unripe mango in chutney? It
> > sounds pretty unappealing to me; I like my avocadoes ripe.

> The only way I eat avocado is in guacamole, otherwise I don't care for
> them. Never met a mango that I liked either, even when I owned a piece
> of a 10 hectare mango plantation in the Philipines. They just taste
> astringent to me.

I heard Madhur Jaffrey, raving about the ones from her native India, in
an interview about her book, _Climbing the Mango Trees_. She said it
was practically impossible to get a decent mango in the US. Now that
the import restrictions have been altered, maybe it's possible to get
better ones. I certainly haven't seen them yet. I've made mango salsa
a few times and each time the mangoes were practically tasteless.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot