Posted to rec.food.cooking,ba.food,chi.eats,houston.eats
The UN-Chowhounder The UN-Chowhounder is offline

Default Chowhound SUCKS [WAS: Restaurant Reviews?

Sqwertz wrote:

> blake murphy > wrote:

> >> http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/14

> > i will be checking them out. thanks, steve.

> I didn't look at your board, but the one here in Austin has quite a
> bit of traffic. They've only removed about 25 of my posts and
> banned me 3 times over the years.
>
> Don't even sneeze there or they'll ding you, and quick. Many of my
> posts didn't last 3 minutes before removal. And they weren't even
> that bad!

Now Steve, this is something we can *somewhat* agree on...you are actually
*spot - on* about Chowhound.

Chowhound is a *pussified* and *pitiful* excuse for a culinary discussion
site. Go read the "posting guidelines" written by Jim Leff, the guy is an
OCD *nightmare*, a control freak in extremis...

Years ago I used to post on the Chicago board, I composed my posts *very*
carefully so as to comply with their "guidelines"...

Despite all the mods would send me niggling emails taking "issue" with most
all of my comments. The LAST straw was when I wrote a favorable review of a
chips 'n fish place (The Duke of Perth, a well - known "pub" place on Clark
Street here in Chicago) and I mentioned it was an "all you can eat" thang on
Wednesdays and Fridays; they emailed me back accusing me of "spamming", this
after I had made a coupla dozen posts on the Chowhound site about a number
of places, some negative and some positive. They are a bunch of prune -
faced old ladies who don't want any intrusions upon their Chowhound "tea
party"...

You can have it...**** 'em...!!!

The only Chowhound board that is even *remotely* informative is the
Manhattan board, all else sucks...the majority of the posts are seemingly
made by air - headed Trixie 'n Chad twenty - somethings...

I like the Yelp.com site, if there are enuf posts for your area (they are
nationwide...SFO/BA, CHI, DC, etc...) it's a useful site, they DO NOT
censor...

--
Best
Greg Morrow