Posted to rec.food.preserving
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Pickled avocado?

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:07:51 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Wilson > wrote:
>
>> sometime in the recent past ChattyCathy posted this:
>> > Is there such a thing? I have googled both th net and this group and
>> > haven't found anything that mentions it per se (but that doesn't mean
>> > much).
>> >
>> > Somebody over on r.f.c. brought it up, so I just thought I'd ask here.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> I've never heard of it, but it would seem that a ripe avocado would be too
>> soft to pickle in the usual sense, IMHO.

>How about an unripe one? Like using an unripe mango in chutney? It
>sounds pretty unappealing to me; I like my avocadoes ripe.

I don't think there's anything you can do to avocado that would make
me like them but, Gerry loves them so she looks after my share.
But, speaking of mangoes and chutney, we've been preserving quite a
few different chutneys over the past week or so. Tuesday is our usual
trip to town day and we intend to pick up some green mangoes at one of
the local Asian markets for the next batch, Mango-Apple. Surfing
around the 'Net I ran across many warnings about green mangoes,
something I'd never heard before. Here's a C&P.
"Caution: Handling green mangoes may irritate the skin of some people
in the same way as poison ivy. (They belong to the same plant family.)
To avoid this reaction, wear plastic or rubber gloves while working
with raw green mango. Do not touch your face, lips or eyes after
touching or cutting raw green mangoes until all traces are washed
away."
Having just recently completed a regimen of prednisone for a rather
severe run in with poison ivy, I think I'll follow the rubber glove
advice.

Ross.