Old 15-09-2008, 03:28 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Domprobst AP#10

On Sep 14, 8:25�pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

�"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 4:04?pm, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
In article
,

?"Bi!!" wrote:
On Sep 11, 1:22?pm, DaleW wrote:
On Sep 11, 11:57 am, "Bi!!" wrote:

I was rummaging around my cellar last night and came across six
bottles of 2005 Willi Schaefer Auslese Graacher Dombprobst AP#10 so I
popped it in the fridge for about 30 minutes and popped the cork.
Wow! I don't drink many Germany wines and certainly not a many Mosel
wines but this was a wine that I just couldn't stop drinking. Floral
notes on the nose with a bit of fresh peach. The wine was very smooth
and creamy on the palate with ripe apples, cinnamon, caramel and a
squeeze of lime. Brilliant. "A" on the Dale scale.

Sounds great. I love Willi S, but mostly buy a bit cheaper, kabinetts
and spatlesen.

I bought these in private sell from a guy who needed to liquidate his
cellar to get cash. ?I paid $40/bottle for the six bottles along with
about 3 mixed cases of different stuff. ?I just checked the price
online and was shocked to see prices close to $80.

Wow $40 for that. I never luck into deals that good.- Hide quoted text -

It's amazing what the IRS can do!

Was the IRS the motivation to sell?- Hide quoted text -

Yes. The tax bill had to be paid and he had to raise money quickly
from qhat I understand. Probably not the first time that somwone has
sold off their collection at a loss to pay off a tax debt and
personally I'd rather give the wine away than have Uncle Sam seize it
and have it languish in a 100F warehouse for ten years while they sort
things out.