Posted to rec.food.cooking
mequeenbe.nospam mequeenbe.nospam is offline

Default Restaurant Reviews?

aem wrote:
> On Sep 14, 7:02�am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > Sheldon's query about Chinese restaurants in Seattle got me thinking about
> > this. �Do you read restaurant reviews prior to eating in one? �Even if it's
> > in your own town? �[snip]

> Our town is the greater Los Angeles area, so reviews are mecessary to
> cope with the huge number and the huge turnover in restaurants.
>
> What we find useful in reviews:
>
> what's their aim--elegance, comfort, culinary adventure, star-
> gazing (this is L.A.)
> how well do they achieve their aim -- quality and consistency of
> food
> what's on the menu, ethnic specialty, wine list
> price range
> service (including, do they honor reservations or always make you
> wait)
> noise level
>
> Some reviewers regularly hit all these points. Those that don't are
> less likely to entice us to try a place out. -aem

jonathan gold in the l a weekly (won a pulitizer for his writing 7
restaurant reviews a couple of years ago). laweekly.com is the
website.

i will not wait more than 10 minutes to be seated if i have a
reservation. 20 minutes if i just walk in, and will not sit by the
kitchen in any restaurant where i'm spending my money.

harriet & critter in azusa.