Posted to alt.food.wine
Salil Salil is offline

Default 2005 Ridge Geyserville

On Sep 14, 12:01 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Today, we threw a party for 16 3- and 4-year olds to celebrate Andrew's
> 4th birthday (actually tomorrow but what the heck!). After 6 hours of
> frantic running around in very humid 86°F weather, we decided that we'd
> take ourselves out to dinner tonight, so repaired to our little
> community's attempt at New American cooking, with the best wine list in
> town. With a dinner of rabbit cacciatore with crimini over penne (my
> dish) and bacon-wrapped smoked shrimp, we got:
>
> 2005 Ridge Geyserville (40th Anniversary bottling)
> nose: pencil lead, bright berryish fruit
> palate: medium body, deep fruit, good acidity, smooth tannins
>
> In part, we ordered this wine to see if reports of its atypical nature
> on the Internet could be verified. I am relieved to say that we saw no
> signs of a change in house style at Ridge. This wine was forward, but
> not overly oaky and well-balanced with abundant fruit. To me, it
> follows in the footsteps of those many wonderful Geyservilles that
> preceeded it. I'm happy that we have a few bottles of it in the cellar.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Sounds excellent. I've only had one bottle of Ridge Geyserville (I
believe the 03), and it was among the best Zins I've had - I recollect
finding it almost Bordeaux-like with the red fruit and pencil lead
flavour profile and good acidity. I'll keep a lookout for this one.
Thanks for the note.

Cheers,

Salil