Olde Hippee

Default grilling on the K

that was called a backflash, and you avoid it by opening the lid just an
inch or so and wait 30 seconds and then open it real slow the rest of the
way. Don't know why the guys didn't tell you that, but we girls'll stick
together!!
I just did my first turkey on the k, a #5, Friday. Stuffed it just like i
do inside, and it was the best bird I've ever had. this was a dry run for
Thanksgiving and it was a huge success. Juicy, tender, falling off the
bones. hooray for me. The gas attachment makes it so easy for me to
light it. Now I know I can do ribs, or even a brisket before hubby gets
home. Whoopee!! And I ordered him the bbq guru(see website
www.bbqguru.com ) for Christmas. I'm sure I'll enjoy it too, now that
I've done it by myself once.
Nanzi
"Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>
> > The distance isn't too great; your fire is too small. You want to get
> > the dome temp up to 550 or 600 F for grilling. Fill up the firebox
> > with lump, add a couple chunks of hardwood or fruitwood, and then open
> > top and bottom dampers all the way. In 20 minutes or so, you should be
> > well on your way to 550 or 600 F.

> Ahh...I knew you guys would have the secret. It's a #7, and you're

right -
> I make the fire too small for grilling, probably out of fear of the air
> holes plugging up. I managed to do that shortly after I got it, and

when
> I opened the top giant flames came out, inscinerating my pork and taking
> several tiles off. I haven't had that happen since, so I guess it's

time