Jack Curry

Default Outers Electric Smoker?

Tank wrote:
> I have inherited an Outers brand electric smoker. It is about
> 2ft high x 1ft x 1ft. All aluminum construction. One whole
> side is a flip-up door. There are several racks inside. It has
> a single electric element at the bottom. Directly above the
> element is a rack which holds a small frying-pan type container,
> with a wooden handle. There is a small trap door at the base of
> the flip-up to allow removal of this pan. The pan has a wooden
> handle, and the handle protrudes through a hole in the trap
> door.
>
> I did not get any instructions with this unit. The box says it can
> be used for "smoking and curing". Is this more of a cold-smoker
> than a cooker? Is this smoking for preservation and flavor, rather
> than cooking and flavor as in larger smokers such as an ECB?
> I am hoping to use this for deep smoking of fish and cheeese,
> as well as perhaps slices of beef tongue, etc. Christmas being
> right around the corner, I am thinking of home-made treats as
> gifts.
>
> Any ideas as to where I can get a user manual, or some guidance
> on using this? I did a Google search, but did not find any real
> references to Outers. Have they gone out of business?
>
> Thanks!

Years ago I bought a Pop Geer smoker that sounds very similar to the unit
you have. I hated the thing. It was suitable only for cold smoking or
making jerky, which takes days to achieve good results. I suggest you
measure the temperature that your unit will reach to determine its cooking
range, since cold smoking occurs at 90-100°, whereas barbecue requires
temperatures of 200°+. IIRC, there was a small electric element at the
bottom of the unit upon which a pan full of wood chips was placed to make
smoke. I also strongly recommend you place your unit well away from your
house or anything flammable, since the electric elements can short circut
and cause fires. Having said that, it might be fine for smoking cheese,
which doesn't take days.

Jack Curry