Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Flavored Vodka

On Sep 2, 11:37*am, "Frank103" > wrote:
> I'm just starting to learn abour vodka and would like to do a little
> experimenting. First, I would like to give vodka a slight lemon flavor. I
> have a 1.5 liter of inexpensive vodka and 3 lemons. I know I will use the
> zest. Do I use the juice? How long should I let the vodka and zest mix rest?
> Can anyone recommend any other ingredients and the amounts to use? Thanks in
> advance.
> Frank

When we moved into this house with a large well-established orange
tree I was still drinking vodka, so I thought I'd try infusing vodka
with orange flavor. I tried it two ways: large quantities of zest,
infused for about 5 days; and peeled fruit sections, pith removed, for
about 8 days. Results strained into another bottle in both cases.
Both worked, in the sense of imparting flavor. The zest produced a
sharper tinge than the fruit. But I didn't like either one and
switched back to screwdrivers......Nowadays I like mimosas. -aem