B.Server

Default Make charcoal in a Kamado?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:11:41 -0500, "JM" > wrote:

>I use a baking tin with a perforated foil cover on my Charbroil gas grill. I
>"cook" the hickory chunks on the lowest setting and depending on the size of
>the chunk, it will be fully charcoaled in about 30 minutes. I save the
>charcoal and either use it myself in a hibachi out the lake or give it away
>to a friend who uses a charcoal fired smoker. Bread bags make a good
>container. I use the bags whole wheat bread comes in, for some reason the
>plastic is thicker and more durable.
>
>John

I would think that there is some risk of filling your K with tar and
other noxious, unburned byproducts distilled from the wood. That is,
after all, the way turpentine and coal tar were traditionally made.
No doubt it depends on the wood, temp, ventilation, etc. But the
product does not seem to be worth the risk to me.