Default Salmon Suggestions

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:01:42 -0500, Bill > wrote:

>A coworker was given the skin on sides of two nice salmon (presently
>frozen so no rush) and has asked me to smoke them for him. I plan to
>brine them before smoking and would appreciate any favorite recipes for
>the brine as well as any suggestions for the smoking.
>
>Thanks in advance.

The brine I like to use for smoked salmon is a little sweeter than
some:

1 qt. water
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c salt
some allspice berries (dried)

I'll mix this, and let the fish soak overnight (or overday)...around
6-8 hours.

Take it out, brief rinse, and let air dry until tacky (the forming of
the pellicle).

Hot smoke at about 225 (I run 225-250...don't sweat it much) until
firm and no longer draining (for my smaller 1-1.5 pound fillets, about
1 1/2-2 hours).

Bob