Old 17-10-2003, 11:29 PM
BOB

Default Temperature plateau at 170F

barry typed:
Bingo! This is why, when I stopped cooking at around 170F, thinking the
meat was done, it turned out to be a bit tough.

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Barry

" BOB" wrote in message
.. .
barry typed:
Several people have commented that a brisket or pork butt will cook until

it
hits 170F, then the temperature will stay at this level for a while, then
begin to rise again.

I've observed this to a limited extent. Is there a reason for this

plateau?
My initial thought was that this was the temperature that caused the fat

melt and flow out, but I really haven't a clue.

Does anyone know the answer?

Barry

Collagen (connective tissue, that makes the cuts of meat tough) is

breaking
down, and liquifying. Yes, also the fat is melting out, too.

BOB

vbg