Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Sqwertz[_25_] Sqwertz[_25_] is offline

Default Pork Wings

wrote:
> Has anyone here come across this relatively new product? It comes from
> Farmland Food Service and is a trimmed down pork shank with just a
> single bone, it's like a mini pork butt on a stick.
>
> I am trying to get the raw product, but it is currently only available
> in a pre-cooked version from local distributors and is not available
> retail.
>
> I've got a pdf file if anybody is interested.

I think Smithfield is the top of the food chain on these,
supplying all the food distributors with them (who may then brand
them as their own). I remember seeing some sort of trademark on
the name "pork wings" tied to Smithfield.

I've never seen them raw. Only a large ham/pork processing outfit
like Smithfield or Hormel would have the facilities to pump these
out in any measurable quantity as there's only two 6oz portions
per pig.

They're probably only sold pre-cooked by Smithfield, or raw to the
food processing facilities of the large food distributors. I'd
like to try them out of curiosity as I've heard about them for
over a year now.

-sw