Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Unexpected Kitchen Expense :(

Ophelia > wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> > UGH... that kind of hurts. I can't seem to get rid of the old wall
> > oven. It's in perfect working order too. No bites on Craig's List
> > and I even offered it up for free on some of the free groups. Guess
> > I'll trash it.

> A story I read. A cooker is put out with a sign 'FREE' no takers. Sign
> replaced with '?10' sign... cooker stolen)

In Blacksburg they have Spring and Fall Cleanup days. Basically, they
will pick up pretty much anything you can haul to the curb by Monday
morning of the cleanup week for your section. They won't take old tires
or hazardous waste (like old paint), but pretty much anything else.
I once had them haul away the rubble from the old front stoop I had
jackhammered into pieces. No charge, just have to wait for the right
week to put it out there.

Now any appliance or furniture or stuff that might even be remotely
useful will get picked up by scavangers in pickup trucks before the
town crews come around. Some will ask if it's OK to take it if they
happen to see you, but don't count on it. I put a really old, but
still functional, washer out one time and an older couple in a pickup
truck seemed very happy when I told them that it worked. Metal of
almost any sort disappears quickly these days.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.