Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default How to make Bran Muffins like a bakery does...?

Piggybacking because I can't see the original message:

> "Sandoz" > wrote in message
>> Could someone fill me in on what's the difference in ingredients between
>> the Bran Muffins you get when you follow the instructions on the side of
>> Kellogg's All Bran and the muffins that are pre-made at a bakery or store?
>>
>> The bakery muffins seem to be moister, and their color is darker. Do they
>> perhaps use a different type of bran than the cereal kind and if so, is it
>> hard to find at general grocery stores? Some recipes I've noticed call
>> for the use of molasses, but it doesn't seem to call for a large amount so
>> I don't see how this could give them their darkened color.
>>
>> I like the Kellogg's bran muffin enough, but I'd like to make some jumbo
>> size muffins, and I'd prefer they tasted like bakery muffins because I
>> like them better.
>>
>> Thanks.

Try this recipe:

Refrigerator Muffins
(from a recipe card that came tucked in a utility bill 15 years ago)

5 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups wheat bran or 100% bran cereal
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2 cups brown sugar (I like dark brown)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup salad oil
1 quart buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk
and mix until blended. May be stored in covered container in
refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in lightly greased
muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

--
Best regards,
Bob