Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Flour/woollie bugs/moths; was Fruit fly solutions?

Sky wrote:

> I think I read here on RFC that placing bay leaves in drawers, closets,
> shelving, and such can help to keep those flour moths/woollie bugs at
> bay (pun intended <g>). I haven't tried this trick yet. Does anyone
> know for sure?
>
> Sky, who'll probably soon buy some bay leaves in bulk

It might help a tiny bit if you have a tiny problem. I'd say your best
bet is to go through your cupboards carefully, discard anything that
seems old to you, and keep everything else in the pasta-grain-bean-rice
family in the freezer for a year. Meanwhile, clean the cupboards with a
solution of 4:1 water:bleach. You get flour moths when you import the
eggs with a purchase. From there, they lay and hatch, lay and hatch.
The freezer doesn't do anything except keep the eggs from hatching for
the time they're frozen. They thaw and hatch when you remove them. So
cleaning the cupboards and keeping anything edible out of them for a
while is your best bet in halting the infestation.

--Lia