Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis Nexis is offline

Default Fruit fly solutions?

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly problem.
> We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a bowl on the
> counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator. The counter tops
> and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of orange juice used
> to get a quick rinse before being put in the dishwasher. Now they're
> getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the dishwasher. The garbage has a
> plastic liner and is behind a closet door. The fruit flies aren't
> gathering there.
>

> And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink a
> glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash the
> glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.
>

> We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing it
> appropriately.
>

> Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on poisons.
> Fly paper?
>

> It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside? (The
> windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.) (Jim
> suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than we've been
> evolving to do away with fruit flies.)
>

> Help!
>

> --Lia

A few years back we had a similar problem with fruit flies. Eventually we
found out they were hatching new ones, which was why there always seemed to
be more! What I did was make a simple fruit syrup and put it in a bottle,
then make a paper funnel and put it in the top. The fruit flies would go in,
but weren't very adept at getting back out, so it was pretty good at
catching most of them. The rest I killed the old fashioned way...with a fly
swatter.

It worked for us, so I hope it works for you!

kimberly
--
http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/
http://www.revver.com/video/1100047/patriot-pilot/#