Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler Julia Altshuler is offline

Default Fruit fly solutions?

The summer joy of summer fruits has brought us a summer fruit fly
problem. We used to be in the habit of leaving peaches and pears in a
bowl on the counter to ripen. Now everything is in the refrigerator.
The counter tops and sinks are scrubbed to unusually clean. Glasses of
orange juice used to get a quick rinse before being put in the
dishwasher. Now they're getting washed thoroughly, THEN put in the
dishwasher. The garbage has a plastic liner and is behind a closet
door. The fruit flies aren't gathering there.

And still the fruit flies persist. It's gotten to where we can't drink
a glass of wine with dinner without them hovering. If we forget to wash
the glass, they're all over it when we turn our backs.

We're starting to suspect the garbage disposal, but we've been rinsing
it appropriately.

Would vacuuming the AIR do any good? Naturally, we're not big on
poisons. Fly paper?

It makes sense that they're outside, but what's bringing them inside?
(The windows have screens, but we all know how much good those do.)
(Jim suggested that they've been evolving to find sweets longer than
we've been evolving to do away with fruit flies.)

Help!

--Lia