John D

Default How to organize a food festival in a town of 5,000 people

Shhesh, I forgot about those posts - it's amazing what can be found just
lying around in cyberspace - hope my in-laws don't learn about google

John D
Having fun in the smoke, but looking forward to winter

"Cuchulain Libby" > wrote in message
. ..

> butch burton wrote:
> > John-thanks a bunch-you obviously know a great deal about this
> > endeavor. Will contact you later-now for the important-where are your
> > Q events occuring-assume since you are N of 49th that means maple leaf
> > territory.

> And to think <sniff> John's first post just a few short years ago <wiping

> tear> was about getting a Klose shipped to Canada. That story is worth a
> re-post; cost him almost as much to ship it as build it. Compared to John,
> we're all slackers as far as the speed of transition from bbq-slut to
> bbq-whore. Bugg, you need to call him, PING him for his phone number,
> although he doesn't cook retail he can tell you shitloads about whoring.
> Plus he's a great guy and funny as hell.
> Found it but looking at some of John's old posts, this one is probably
> boring....
> (googled 'john d' and 'klose')
>
> [Begin re-post:]
>
> OK, I did it - I ordered the Klose
>
> I talked to the folks at Klose, and they not only knew what they were
> talking about, they made me feel that they knew what they where talking
> about!!!!! (pretty impressive .... one of my business is sales oriented
> ....... I know the crap series and the crud series ... and these people
> talked fact.... no fiction)
>
> I went for the backyard chef with the log starter and the charcoal grate

in
> the main chamber (their recommendation). cost was something like $1300. I
> was interested in the gas element for the main smoke chamber, but the

talked
> me out of it (that's not real Q'ing !!!!). I thought it would be

worthwhile
> in the winters up here, but if it's too cold to Q, I really should just

use
> the oven as opposed to using gas (my wife's comment - I really do Love

her)

> The shipping costs are kind of funny though. To ship to Toronto, Canada is
> around $650.00, but around $1,000.00 to ship to Hamilton, Ontario (45

min.
> closer to the US border)
>
> The only question that I have left is,...... should I go for the insulated
> cooking chamber or not? It is an extra 1/4 inch plate around the cooking
> chamber filled with 4" of insulation. Forgot to ask how much it will

cost,
> but even if its another 3 - 400 it might be worth it ( it gets down to -20
> to - 30 a fair bit in Jan. and Feb ..... but we need that to build our ice
> rinks so that you yanks can't take that game from us like you did with
> basketball, football, and baseball) (hey its a nationalistic thing ....
> genetic kind of)
>
> Thanks to all of you that told me off, gave advice, and just slightly
> ridiculed me ....... I felt at home.
>
> John D
>
> Now that I have it, I got to learn how to use it - My 13 year old nephew
> (you figure out the context)
> John D > wrote in message
> news
> > OK,
> >
> > I was going to build a double barrel smoker BBQ, but my wife (bless her

> kind
> > soul) said that she did not want to look at a bunch of oil barrels in

the
> > back yard. She suggested buying an offset smoker from a reputable
> > manufacturer, having it delivered, and making sure that it would be the

> only
> > one I would need for the rest of my life.
> >
> > After I got up off of the floor, I went back to my links ...... I liked

> the
> > Tejas (the size and the cost) and due to the responses that I have seen

in
> > this group, the Klose.
> >
> > The $1100 odd dollars American, I can handle, my problem is the shipping
> > costs. Why pay $1100 for a unit, just to spend $1083 to have it

delivered.