Posted to rec.food.sourdough
John LaBella John LaBella is offline

Default What's wrong with "mother"

I have been keeping & semi regularly feeding my sourdough mother.

The usual appearance was to have a little "hooch" on the top a
consitency like very thick cream slightly alchol smell and a few bubbles
on the surface. I have been keeping it in the fridge with trips out to
room temp.
I had to leave it out for an extended period and I now see what appears
to be a white "powder" floating on the surface (no it isn't extra
flour). the Hooch has almost disapeared - if I add more flour and water
it does bubble. If I stir everything back in the "powdery surface
reappears after a day or two.
Has Mother "gone bad"?
Is this a question of when in doubt throw it out?