Posted to rec.food.preserving
ljp ljp is offline

Default ascorbic acid - Fruit Fresh

On Aug 18, 5:54 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Kathi Jones wrote:
> > "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . ..

The Fruit Fresh didn't do much to keep the apple pieces from
browning. Cored, immersed in slightly stronger than recommended
solution for 10 minutes +, drained, put on dehydrator trays, brown by
the time the next batch was ready.

I found some absorbic acid at a wine making supply shop, only 20 gm
packets for an exorbitant price.

I think I'll try the next batch untreated.

I broke down and bought a "large" jelly bag (if this is large the
small must be for individual grapes) snap lids, and rubber rings. The
rubber rings are just a little cheaper than the lids. I'll use the
rubber rings as back up. I've never had a problem with them.
However, I always use tested rings

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. I did by fresh lemons, but they are for lemonade.