Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones Kathi Jones is offline

Default ascorbic acid - Fruit Fresh

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> The Joneses wrote:
>> "Brian Mailman" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> Have you looked inside a lemon?
>>>
>>> B/

>> Limes can be even acider, and interesting differments in taste. Or
>> pineapple juice, or grapefruit juice (either sweetened or unsweetened,
>> gag - no high fructose corn syrup, please!) Think about apple cider
>> vinegar in the water? Just a think there, I've never done it. Or light
>> wines, better the ones that make your nose wrinkle - the pH test you
>> know. Apple jack? bourbon? Tequila? To the devil with prissy white apple
>> chips, lets have somethin' with some *flavor.*
>> Down here we get dried fruits sprinkled with chili powder (the mix,
>> check them *&^% added ingredients, usually salt is the first item),
>> powdered chile (the real deal - chipotle or green chile anyone?), and/or
>> sugar with various flavorings.
>> I had some absoluter wonderful applewoodsmoked chipotle in Sante Fe
>> once with Christine. That stuff was fab! To diet for, dahling.
>> I think you may have created a monster.
>> Edrena
>>

> Actually, UofGA says to use bottled lemon juice as it has a standard pH
> versus a squeezed lemon that you don't know what the pH is. That was a
> test question.

but either or would be OK for stopping something from browning, right? So I
should only be concerned when using it to balance the ph, right? That
means use bottle lemon juice when lemon juice is called for in a recipe, but
a fresh squeezed lemon or lime would do when stopping something from turning
brown...

notice, both were questions....?

kathi