Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Downsizing toasters, a return to deeper bread holders or larger toaster bodies

On Mon 18 Aug 2008 06:05:15p, Dee Dee told us...

> On Aug 18, 8:47*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

..
> [...]

over

>> > Really Fun reading the Dualit reviews on Amazon. *One 5* review says
>> > this:

>> > "I love the fact that operates completely different than any other
>> > toaster out there. It's best to preheat it - but once you do you can
>> > put in pieces of bread one right after another with consistant
>> > results. None of the problems you have w/American toasters when they
>> > get heated where the first piece is perfect, the next is too light,

and
>> > the next comes out more like a piece of bread and so on."

>> > The Cusinart toaster I own is supposed to do this, and does to a
>> > certain degree; but after 4 pieces of toast (two 2x), it always has
>> > seemed to forget and the 3rd go-round comes out burnt at the same
>> > setting.

>> > a 1* review says this:
>> > First of all, you MUST preheat it for a couple of minutes or it will
>> > not toast.

>> > I don't think I could abide the preheating a toaster either. *I guess
>> > I'll deal with the one I have now,

>> > To the OP, concern about money vs. time when toasting and it doesn't
>> > toast the whole part of the bread:
>> > I do the same thing with bread I buy, but I just cut off the less
>> > toasted for DH, he doesn't mind. *But I like mine heavily toasted.

>> > Another thingie: cut your bread to shape, put the edges in a bag for
>> > crutons or breadcrumbs.

>> > Sometimes if the bread (I make my own usually) has harder crust, cut

it
>> > off before toasting, which will make your piece more useable.

>> > All these things are time consuming, but do not cost you 'cents.'

>> > Dee Dee

>> But having to do all these things is a royal PITA. *We have a "commerci
>> al" Hamilton Beach 4-slice toaster, and it's consistent from first slice
>> to last.
>>

> I agree. It is a PITA (not PITA bread :-)) )
>
> DH brought home a loaf each of sourdough and rye last week from Trader
> Joe's. They are of this large size, and the loaves had been cut into
> two pieces and they are still too large for the toaster. I don't know
> if the sizes are all being cut this way.
>
> I bought a couple of loaves from Panera Bread about a month ago; some
> of their loaves are smaller. At first the rye tasted fine, but I
> bought another two loaves and they were 'pukey.'
>
> DH is spending time again with his father in CT -- he has his third
> bout of cancer now, so I'm not interested in making bread when he's
> not here. Too dangerous -- which brings me back to the toaster again;
> my choice is plastic (I never thought I'd say that!), but I've burnt
> myself too many times on a toaster; it now has to be plastic (ugh!)
>
> Dee Dee

Yes, baking bread for one can be dangerous! I would be happy to come and
share it with you. :-)

I do hope your father in law is responding to treatment.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day