Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Downsizing toasters, a return to deeper bread holders or larger toaster bodies

On Mon 18 Aug 2008 01:44:42p, pltrgyst told us...

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:49:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>>Either the bread has gotten larger (which I doubt) or the toaster
>>manufactures have been downsizing the toasters over the years. I've
>>replace mine twice now and I still find part of the bread shows over
>>the toaster top and doesn't get toasted. In an age of conserving
>>energy, having to flip the bread around and toast it a second time
>>doesn't make 'cents'.

> True. It's a strong argument for a toaster/oven.

Not really. I have owned numerous toaster-ovens and none of them made good
toast. They also took forever to toast the bread, and only worked
reasonably well if you flipped the bread over. They serve far better use
as a small oven or broiler.

> Wonder if anyone in the world makes the old type of manual electric
> toaster any more -- shaped in profile like the letter "A", with a door
> on each side. We used to make the greatest toasted cheese sandwiches in
> ours when I was a kid...

You can usually find some of these on eBay in good working condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-ART-DECC...OUSE-TURNOVER-
TOASTER_W0QQitemZ170249896224QQihZ007QQcategoryZ11 654QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ
1QQcmdZViewItem

OR

http://tinyurl.com/6lm2nc

> -- Larry