John Coleman

Default Dangers of vegetarian/vegan diets and importans of animal foods for children

Wolfbrother>
> Persistence of neurological damage induced by dietary vitamin B-12
> deficiency in infancy:

http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...=&FIRSTINDEX=0

This deficiency was treated with supplements - "Vitamin B-12 supplements led
to a rapid improvement of haematological and neurological symptoms". The
article does not support you proposition that we need to eat animal
products. It supports the proposition that humans need B12.

> Neurologic Impairment in Children Associated With Maternal Dietary
> Deficiency of Cobalamin-Georgia, 2001:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...urnalcode=jama

ditto

> A maternal vegetarian diet in pregnancy is associated with
> hypospadias. The ALSPAC Study Team. Avon Longitudinal Study of
> Pregnancy and Childhood:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Inconclusive, but note that meat eater kids also get hypospadias.

> Determinants of Cobalamin Status in Newborns:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...e=pediatric s

yep, people need B12!

> Unsuspected nutritional rickets:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ode=pediatrics

Sunshine provides vitamin D, meat does not. Milk doesn't provide enough
either unless supplemented. Only a few kinds of fish provide much vitamin D.
Some mushrooms can be reasonable sources.

> Totally vegetarian diets and infant nutrition:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ode=pediatrics

So what about vegan mothers who supplement with vitamin B12 and get plenty
of sunshine? How do you think they do?? I can save you answering this,
because I personally know vegan kids who have done fine, no rickets and no
anaemia. My daughter Candie is vegan from a vegan mother and has no
developmental problems. This single case destroys your hypothesis.

> The changing pattern of maternal and neonatal anemia at Udaipur during
> 2 decades in relation to poverty, parity, prematurity and
> vegetarianism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=2064586

Again selection bias. Although of concern, none of these papers actually
seem to support your proposition Wolfbrother. I do agree with you that
veganism is unnatural, we would get insects and dirt in a natural diet, and
these can supply the B12, EFAs and even a useful protein boost.

John C