Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz Stan Horwitz is offline

Default Update: McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I know you've all been waiting to hear what's going on with
> the fast food situation where I live. Heh.
>
> I mentioned that a local McDonald's closed and I was really
> surprised, it was so busy all the time. It left no convenient
> drive-thru McDonald's for quite a ways. No skin off my teeth,
> I don't go there, I was just surprised.
>
> Well, they put up a weird building, is it a bank? No, it's just
> a brand new McDonald's, now hiring. White stone front,
> very small arches. A new look.
>
> Then I'd noticed that Dunkin Donuts in town was closed, right
> at the time people here were talking about their Dunkin Donuts
> going out of business. This place said they were under
> renovations. How can a place like that afford to close for months?
> Well, when they put the big bubblegum pink D door handle on, I
> knew they were coming back. Guess there's more money in
> donuts than I thought.
>
> I know you've all been wondering, don't worry, fast food is safe in
> my corner of the world.

The same thing happened with a Dunkin Donuts in my neighborhood. Its one
of the standalone types (not in a mall). One day, I drove by to stop at
a convenience store across the street from that DD and it was closed,
despite being packed all the time.

The place was unused for several months, then knocked down and replaced
by a new building that's nearly indistinguishable from the old one,
except a tiny bit larger, and its a Dunkin' Donuts. Go figure!