Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default the reason there is no perfect match

On Aug 13, 10:19�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
wine pairing guru of our FAQ.

Yeah right. Uh huh.
Seriously, twice in the last week I've laughed to myself about the
ridiculousness of asking for matching opinions (not that I plan on
stopping asking or answering opinions). Because:

Tastes differ. Some love PN with salmon, others hate. Plus of course
people like different wines (people who like vin jaune are much more
likely to find it a good match than I would!).

Wines differ. If one says demi-sec Vouvray, can be big differences
between Huet, Pinon, Prince P, etc.

and the biggie is food differs. If I say eggplant risotto, it doesn't
tell you it was (a) grilled to a baba ganoush like smokiness, (b)
skins weren't used, and (c) there was cream and sumac, as well as
scallions and garlic. Even knowing recipe, I've never come up with
what I think is the definitive match for our favorite summer splurge
salad:
http://www.howtocookeverything.tv/ht...cipeId-53.html

Every tomato is different. Lobsters vary. Even more importantly, corn
has huge variation (variety, when and how ripe it was picked). We
don't have the Minus-8, we use my homemade vinegar which varies
considerably between batches. Sometimes she tried to add grapefruit to
the olive oil, others she doesn't bother. I still have fun, but maybe
wine that I served last time would have been better with this version
of the salad.

No real point to this, just thinking.