Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Derek[_1_] Derek[_1_] is offline

Default Tap Water VS Bottled Water

While intrepidly exploring the bowels of USENET on Tuesday, August 12,
2008, rolled initiative and posted the following:

> On Aug 12, 7:20*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> I take it you have never lived next to a big coal-fired generator plant?
>> --scott

> Do I need to? Ever hear of Youtube or tv? Fact is coal is awful, but
> times that by at least 1000 and this is how bad all the accumulated
> auto exhaust is. Furthermore, who lives near coal plants? <1%. Who
> lives in and around cities? > 90%. Weak argument. Sorry to see you
> lose that one bigtime.

Actually, one does not have to live near a coal plan to be affected.
In fact, living farther away can be more problematic. Acid rain in the
eastern half of the state is created by pollution on the West Coast.
Airborne pollution doesn't stay put.

Your statistics on coal versus cars also seem a bit off. In 2000,
carbon emissions in the U.S. from transportation are estimated to be
513 million metric tons. Carbon emissions from coal are estimated to
be 570 million metric tons. That suggests parity in the pollution, not
a thousandfold difference.

--
Derek

Bigamy is carrying respectability to a criminal extreme.