Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Default Mesquite flour starter

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:
> Sam wrote:
>
>> If you ask me - anyone starting with anything but full grain rye is
>> counterproductive.
>>

> Why is that?
>
> I ask because all I have ever used is freshly-ground whole white wheat,
> and it works quite well. Granted, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area,
> but....

Higher germ count for sure. Grown in wetter areas than wheat, probably.

In EU, it's in south - IT, RU-Ukraine all wheat and in north - SE, NO,
FI, NO-DE, N-RU more or all rye.

They have yearly crop reports on rye (probably also wheat) conditions.

The rye kernels I get here in US-CO are from CAN.

Maybe "counterproductive" is an overstatement but if I remember right,
there were several folks here which had problems with wheat flour and
rye did it.

S.

http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough