Posted to alt.food.wine
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Sulfite-free wine?

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Mark Slater wrote:
>> The fermentation process produces about 7 ppm
>> naturally. Conscientious winemakers try to
>> maintain a level of about 33-35 ppm to keep the
>> wine stable and oxidation free (this was told
>> to me by Olivier Humbrecht). The EU limit for
>> SO2 is 400 ppm.

> It all depends on the type of wine.
>
> The EU limit is 400 ppm only for sweet wines.
> The limit is much lower, thankfully, for dry
> reds (160ppm) or dry whites(200ppm). US limit is
> 350ppm for all wines.
>
> Conscientious winemakers will indeed use far
> less than these limits, Humbrecht's comment on
> 35ppm are good for whites, but he should have
> mentioned that reds require even less because
> they contain antioxydants that come from
> prolonged skin contact. Red wines made from
> healthy grapes can get away with around
> 15-20ppm. Wines treated this way are stable and
> age well.

The amount of sulphites used is based on the pH of
the wine. For example, a wine with a pH of 3.5
will require about 50 ppm; a wine with a pH of
3.6 will require 60 ppm; and a wine with a pH of
3.7 will require 70 ppm. This is a rule of thumb
but works out to be fairly accurate. One must
also take into account the difference between
"free" and "total" SO2.

For very complete information on sulphites and
wine making see:

http://www.brsquared.org/wine/Articles/SO2/SO2.htm