Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Default Mesquite flour starter

Will wrote:
> On Aug 4, 3:53 pm, wrote:
>
>> ... I'm adding about a cup of all
>> purpose flour to a few tablespoons of mesquite flour because I don't
>> think the mesquite flour has much in the way of sugar and starch.
>>

> You won't know until you try. But try with Mesquite only and don't
> make a lot. You want to make a little dough-ball about the size of a
> golf ball. Then refresh it every couple of days by peeling off the
> exterior "skin" and combining the interior with fresh mesquite +
> water. If it's going to work, it will start fermenting within 6 or 7
> days.

How do you know something grows? Ever tried mesquite and know it gets
sour and does not get stinky?

If you ask me - anyone starting with anything but full grain rye is
counterproductive.

As for your method - there are many ways to start a starter. Go to a
library and look through bread books, makes (my) hair stand up so much
crap is in there.

(not saying your's is - the potato water moon cycle method is)

IMO, best method is to keep the hydration in a way it is stirrable and
can be watched through a glass container for gas bubbles.

In addition, as much as possible keep notes on weights used, time,
temperature, so it's in some way repeatable and can be compared - if you
want to do something good and report it here.

The dough ball skin method achieves nothing of that, only a it
works/does not work result.

Sam