Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Default Mesquite flour starter

wrote:
> Has anyone started a wild yeast starter using mesquite flour? I'm
> giving it a shot for the heck of it. I'm adding about a cup of all
> purpose flour to a few tablespoons of mesquite flour because I don't
> think the mesquite flour has much in the way of sugar and starch. I
> assume that mesquite pods must have some yeast on them, so would that
> be the type of yeast that will also work for bread? And if so, will
> it affect the taste at all?

I don't know why some people "here" are mostly yeast oriented?

It's half the story - actually less than that under some perspectives.

And - if you mix a cup of flour and a few TB's together, what do you
think the ratios of critters is?
Even by assuming the same germ count/gram on both, what do you think
will prevail?

Chances are that the mesquite flour may be less "fertile" - thinking on
that environment - desert and very dry.

As for sugar and starches in mesquite flour - look at the bottom of this
page:

http://www.desertusa.com/mag06/may/mesquite.html

- it's sweet.

and the

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/9105.html

plenty of sugar and "carbohydrates" - probably starches if sugars are
listed separately.

So - if you want to play with SD from mesquite flour - take it pure, get
it going until it's sour and then port it over to wheat flour.

If something sour grows from it before going putrid.

Sam

http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough