Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default Slight change in the web site for FAQ

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:37:47 GMT
Jose > wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 00:42:03 -0700, cwdjrxyz wrote:
>
> > Many
> > large sites have replaced Windows, Real, and QT formats with it because
> > it will play on most modern computers and has many other advantages.
> > Videos on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, YouTube, etc now usually are in this
> > format.

> The flash format is an abomination, a security hazard, an advertiser's
> dream, and a web surfer's nightmare. Flash keeps its own (pretty much
> secret) cookie stash of where you visit, does not respect portable
> standards, has no "off switch" in the browser (and never will because it
> is primarily supported by advertisers who use flash to force animation on
> web browsers that otherwise have it turned off), and should not be used
> except in special cases (of which this is not one). It should absolutely
> never be used on the opening page of a site.
>
> All IMHO of course, but please reconsider! There are -much- better ways
> of accomplishing most of what flash does (for example, animated .gif for
> a slide show)

I usually steer clear of the web design arguments, because I admittedly don't
know much about it and out of respect for the considerable service cwdjr does
our community by hosting and maintaining the FAQ.

But I am moved to agree with Jose on this one. I really hate flash.

I go to considerable lengths to manage my cookie privacy on the machines I use
for browsing. But as Jose states flash is having none of it, letting the doubleclicks
(and worse) of the world exchange information via my hard disk.

Further the spirit of usenet comes from a text only, academic and multi-platform
background. It seems contrary to this spirit to publish our FAQ in a format that
precludes for example this excellent SGI/IRIX computer I am now posting from,
or even the perfectly modern 64bit Linux machine I often use. (These machines
have notable advantages, in that they never break down or crash. I usually use
a Mac for web stuff, but this lost its disk a couple of days ago. What a pain...
Windows is of course precluded because of security issues; I don't like buying
a car and then paying some other company (yearly) for seat belts.)

On a final note music at websites drives me crazy, because if I'm surfing
late at night it has an annoying tendency to wake my children, who stagger
in with a "what are you looking at, Daddy?"

All this said, again, my thanks and considerations to cwdjr, for all his efforts.
BTW, are you a fan of Calvados? I noticed you're collecting various "gouté", if
you want I'd be happy to mail you a bottle of some very fine AOC Domfrontais.
Email separately.

-E
--
Emery Davis