Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Slater Mark Slater is offline

Default Choosing a Wine Distributor

On Jul 29, 8:21 pm, drbruce > wrote:
> Can anyone point me to an answer to the questions "How do you find a
> wine distributor" and "On what variables should the wine distributor
> be rated" and "is there a site that compares wine distribution for
> both the U.S. and Canada?"
>
> If there is a moderator, please feel free to tell me where to find
> this information.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bruce in Atlanta

There is no easy answer. First, Canada has state liquor boards to deal
with. They purchase from importers and have a different system from
the US. In the US, each state has its own rules and regulations
regarding alcohol importation, sale and purchase - many of them very
backward. It really depends on what you are looking for a distributor
to sell. The liquor/wine business in the US has changed dramatically
in the past 10 years. Large national distributors have been buying up
older, traditional family owned distributors at a rapid pace all over
the country. Charmer and Republic National Distributors virtually
control the east coast. Southern Wine and Spirits is the largest
presence in the California and the west, including Las Vegas. The
middle of the country is divided amonst these three. In my market
(Washington, DC), importers may have distributor licenses also. My
buying strategy for imported wines is to buy from these small
distributors almost exclusively except for a very few Burgundy
domaines (Leflaive, Sauzet, Drouhin and Latour) and a few Champagnes.
My advice is to avoid the 3 tier system if at all possible. Go with a
small distributor who will take the time and energy to sell your
product.

Mark