Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default frozen pie comparisons

On 2008-07-29, aem > wrote:
> While shopping today I saw a frozen lemon meringue pie by Claim
> Jumpers, a chain restaurant I've never been to. Something about the
> packaging, perhaps the height of the box, attracted me. Didn't buy it

Mrs Smith used to make great frzn pies. MS has provided the restaurant
trade for 30+ yrs that I know of and even their supermarket offerings were
decent, the MS premium line, like deep dish apple, being excellent. Last
time I bought an MS d/d premium apple pie, it just plain sucked. Reduced
amount, pithy apples, etc. I'll never buy MS again.

I've tried the CJ berry pie and a MC berry pie (cobbler?) and they were both
pretty decent, 'cept the MC cobbler had about twice as much crust as
necessarry, flour being cheaper than berries. I'd go for either, providing
they are on deep sale.

Baker's Square (gotta buy from storefront) has degraded so much, I wouldn't
even bother. Bottom line, you wanna a good pie, bake your own.

nb

nb