Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default supper tonight

Giusi > wrote:

> I ordered books
> from Amazon-- paperbacks-- to try to use some of my stimulus check in the US
> and for maybe 10 paperbacks the postage was $56.00.

From Amazon directly, or from Amazon "Marketplace"? If the former, why
don't you order from Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de? Postage to Italy is
something like £4 or 6 euros, no matter how many books you order, even
if they come from America. I have it even better here, as Amazon.de
does not charge any postage for books delivered to German addresses.

ObFood: Crescentini salate, from _Traditional Recipes from Florence_ by
Carla Geri Camporesi.

Victor

Crescentini salate
Savoury shapes

500 g (1 lb 2 oz) flour, 20 g (1 oz) butter or lard, 1 scant tbsp baking
powder, stock, salt, extra virgin olive oil

Put the flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the butter or lard on
to a pastry board and mix the ingredients together, adding enough stock
to make a soft, well kneaded dough. Roll this out into a square of
about 20 cm. Fold it in four and roll it out again. Repeat this
procedure four or five times, then roll the dough out to a thickness of
about 5 mm, and cut it into diamond shapes. Put oil or lard, or a
mixture of the two, into a frying pan and heat well, the fat must be
boiling. Fry the little shapes a few at a time. Turn the over as soon
as one side starts to brown, being careful not to pierce them. Put the
shapes on to a dish lined with absorbent paper, salt lightly and serve
hot.