Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default supper tonight

On Jul 27, 2:05*am, "Giusi" > wrote:

> Having found corn tortillas!!!! in a local supermarket that carries some
> foreign food, I made sorta tacos. *They were sorta good. *But these
> tortillas, larger than usual, took forever to crisp. *The recipes on the
> side were for enchiladas in 3 languages, all latin derived. *Do they make a
> much softer tortilla for enchiladas? *The brand was Old El Paso.
>
> The cost a bomb, though. *8 tortillas for about $4.50 US.

Wow, that's costly. I thought the lure of Mexican food had spread
more efficiently than that. I don't suppose you can find tortilla
masa in the stores over there? At that price it would be worthwhile
for you to ask someone to send you a bag of masa and a tortilla press.

It reminds me of the base I served at in southern Japan some 40 years
ago. The service club there served a late night snack of fried
tacos. Hamburger, bottled taco seasonings and taco sauce probably
also by El Paso at that time and those same canned tortillas. Memory
says they were crispy enough but obviously fried in a lot of fat,
probably lard back then. They were just the thing to settle your
stomach after a night of drinking down at "the village." Three for 65
cents. Back then the yen was fixed at 360 to the dollar....... -
aem