Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phred Phred is offline

Default Freezer bags or containers or vacuum pack?

In article >, Tamzen Cannoy > wrote:
>In article >, wrote:
>> I'm going to buy my first ever freezer real soon. Have
>> never done this in bulk before
>>
>> I will be breaking up large quantities of berries,
>> food, etc into smaller batches for freezing.
>>
>> Should I use freezer bags, freezer containers, or one
>> of those vacuum packing deals?

>for non crushable foods like meat, etc the vacuum pack is the way to go.
>No freezer burn. for fragile things like berries, freeze them first on a
>single layer on a cookie sheet and then vacuum seal them after they are
>solid. Food will last a LOT longer if you vacuum seal it. Things like
>soups and stews, though you can simply put in a freezer bag and
>eliminate all the air before sealing.

Some years ago a friend had regular access to bulk supplies of
*excellent* prawns. They had to be bought in 10 kg lots, so he "got
smart" and bought one of those vacuum sealing machines so he could
make up packets of a more usable size to be frozen.

You're quite right with what you're thinking at this point...
It was actually a bloody *dumb* idea. You can't vacuum pack prawns in
plastic bags!

But the happy ending is that the family now use it when breaking down
a whole rump for freezing in convenient serving sizes, so they're
finally pleased with the purchase!

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID