Posted to alt.food.vegan.science,alt.food.vegan
Laurie Laurie is offline

Default Flatulence-producing foods

> Any content in the colon which can be reduced by the critters
there can
have as by products gases which to humans have an oder or not.
“Reduce” has a specific meaning in chemistry, and that word does not
apply here.
Reduction describes the gain of electrons by a molecule, atom or ion;
so your claim is in error.

> Regardless of oder the escape of the gases from the rectum is

Flatulence.
Carbohydrates or fatty acids or protein can be the source of the gases
once produced.
My comments were regarding the offensive-smelling amines produced by
consuming excess proteins, especially of animal origin. These odors
quickly disappear in a few days, if one abandons animal products, and
is not ingesting significant excesses of plant protein: nuts/seeds,
beans, pulses, … Over time, all "body odors" will disappear as the
body detoxes.

> There are more bacteria in the human colon then there are cells in the

human body.
True, but irrelevant.

> Bacteria are composed of protein and some suchdead bacteria

become the food source for other bacteria.
True, but irrelevant.

> Feces also contains protein removed from the body as dead cells

etc. as well as those from some food sources.
True, but irrelevant.

> The bacteria produce fatty acids which are the breakdown product of

undigestable carbohydrates eaten from plant sources.
The issue is the typical AMINE compounds present in the feces of
carnivores and animal-eating humans. Several odoriferous amines were
identified by name. They are NOT fatty acids.

> … butyric acid is one such fatty acid …

But, butyric acid does NOT have the characteristic amine odors
referenced.

> … any food source can produce Flatulence and depending on

which gas is produced an oder humans can smell will be produced.
Methane is a common exhaust gas, but it does NOT have the specific
and characteristic amine odors produced by humans who consume the
animal proteins, or excessive amounts of any protein source.
I appreciate your attempt to respond, but please try to deal with the
specific issues raised.

Laurie
--
Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html