Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default How long does flour last?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:01:59 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Sheldon said...
>
>>> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
>>> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
>>> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>>>
>>> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
>>> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

>> Freezing won't kill bugs, all freezing does is preserve them in their
>> present state of development... as soon as they are moved to a warmer
>> location they will once again continue their cycle. Insect eggs and
>> larva can survive in frozen ground indefinitely. The bugs are in
>> grain mostly because they are already in the plant at harvest. We eat
>> hundreds of pounds of such bugs in our lifetime, they won't hurt you,
>> just adds a little extra protein. Why do you think bakers began
>> adding seeds, nuts, and twigs to baked goods? In some societies
>> people consider insects a regular part of their diet.

>Depends on how frozen you go!
>
>When we find a tray with a bird specimen that's been eaten apart from bugs,
>we transfer the entire tray to the freezer for two weeks.
>
>You don't know squat!

My SIL learned to kill mold/mildew that grows on art by putting the
affected canvas in a freezer. I think it's a common practice in the
art world. Maybe *some* bugs go into hibernation when they hit the
deep freeze, but not everything does.

http://www.pestproducts.com/mediterr...flour_moth.htm

If you have flour or grain moths: Empty all cabinets, drawers and pantries where there is evidence of insects. Try to identify which foodstuff is infested. Throw away any container suspected of being a source. If you are unsure and want to save something which may be infested, place it in Tupperware or zip lock bags. Inspect it a week or two later to see if there is activity or not. You can also freeze food (in a baggy) for 5-10 days to kill any possible pests. Be careful to inspect cans as these pests love to nest on the bottom around the can’s rim. The lids of jars or bottles also provide excellent nest sites.

Mae West