Posted to rec.food.baking
JMF JMF is offline

Default Good recipe for fudge?

"Kristiane" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a good fudge recipe they can reccomend?

I used to have a recipe for fudge that was nearly foolproof because it used
unflavored gelatin. It was always smooth and always tasted great. I don't
have the recipe any more, but I found by looking on the Net that the idea of
using unflavored gelatin actually dates back several decades. Here's a
recipe from the Hershey's Cookbook of 1930:

CHOCOLATE GELATIN FUDGE

1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (dry)
1 1/4 cups milk, divided use
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons Hershey's cocoa or 2 ounces Hershey's baking chocolate, melted
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt
1 cup pecan meats, coarsely chopped

Soften the gelatin in a little of the milk.

Add the sugar and melted chocolate (or cocoa) to the rest of the milk and
bring to the boiling point. Cook to the soft-ball stage.

Add the softened gelatin and the butter; vanilla, and also a dash of salt.
Stir frequently while cooling.

Add the nuts. Spread in a buttered pan and set aside to cool and harden.

Cut in squares.

Servings: 8
Source: Hershey's Cookbook, 1930