Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] is offline

Default How long does flour last?

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
> inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
> flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.
>
> Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
> a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.

If I see a weevil larva, I pretend I didn't. If I see several, I'm done.
I can buy into the tiny bits of protein part to a point. I don't believe
the eggs hatch inside us and don't worry about them. I live in a dry
enough climate that I've never experienced rancidity in flour. I just
threw out a one pound bag of flour unopened that had been in our travel
trailer for two years. But that was because my wife told me to.
I suppose you could sift them out if you had a mind to. If flour gets
more expensive, expect a run on sifters.

leo