Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default How long does flour last?

Andy wrote:
> Gloria P said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> How long does flour last?
>>>
>>> Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
>>> probably.
>>>
>>> Looks good, feels good.
>>>

>> Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
>> the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.
>>
>> I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
>> Never had a problem.
>>
>> gloria p

> gloria p,
>
> How does this flour/bug thing happen? If the sack hasn't been open surely
> there wouldn't be bugs!?
>
> Right?!?
>
> Andy

Wrong. Miller moths can lay their eggs on a bag and the weevils get
inside. Flour can come from the store, the warehouse, or the maker, with
flour weevils in it. Many ways for the bugs to get in there.

Just to be sure I freeze flour, corn meal, dog biscuits, etc. for up to
a week before using to ensure the larvae and/or eggs are dead.