Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How long does flour last?

On Sat 19 Jul 2008 05:21:34p, Gloria P told us...

> Andy wrote:
>> How long does flour last?
>>
>> Got two unopened sacks of Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, two years old
>> probably.
>>
>> Looks good, feels good.
>>

> Flour can get buggy (you'd see those) or rancid (you'd smell or taste
> the rancidity.) Otherwise I can't think of what would affect it.

> I keep mine in the freezer and I don't worry about how old it is.
> Never had a problem.
>
> gloria p

I keep all my grains and various flours (except bleached all-purpose flour)
in the freezer, as well. The AP flour is fairly resistant to rancidity,
although it can get buggy if not in a well sealed container.

I do think that semolina might risk turning rancid with age, heat,
humidity, etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)