Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
gunner gunner is offline

Default Mexican cheeses

Nan ,

The selection and tastes of Mexican cheeses we get here in the PNW is
limited (5-6) , maybe your area is better, but they would still have to be
USDA. that usually means commerical processing , heat pasturized,appeal to
wide common tastes, etc. What we do get here under "Mexican" labels here
are, to me, very bland and too expensive for what you get. So, I find
nothing wrong with using local artisanal cheeses to make a signature dish.

Was given this link of WI Hispanic style cheesesto try
http://www.wisdairy.com/allaboutchee.../default.aspx# .
I have not found a store that carries them as yet up here, so I cannot vouch
for them. I like Munster or a good Jack in my rellenos, for large groups I
use a Pepper Jack (the heat kick seems to make large groups think they are
getting their moneys worth). Also try beating an egg and a bit of cilantro,
chiles, garlic and Mexican Oregano (also spinach or any of your secret
spice/chile blends work just as well) in a ricotti cheese for filling
rellenos and enchiladas instead of the typical Cheddar used in many American
version recipes. Especially nice with lighter pairings of fish, seafood or
chicken. Karen Hursh Graber, of "Mexican Hot or Not ", fame recommends
blending cottage and rocotti to make a requesón.

Recommend you bookmark this link, lots of cooking info on all cuisines:
http://www.practicallyedible.com/edi...e!opendocument

Some other bookmarks on M. cheeses:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/mexicancheeses.htm
slightly different:
http://mexican-food.suite101.com/art...eses_of_mexico

As always, Rolly's ( One of the GodFathers here) site
http://rollybrook.com/chiles_rellenos.htm#toasting has good info, recipes
and pics if you need them.

"Nanzi" wrote...
>I want to make Chiles Rellenos.
>When I shopped for cheese, there were lots of them

All help is appreciatedl
Nan