Alex Rast

Default rich, moist chocolate cake

at Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:25:47 GMT in >,
(Dee Randall) wrote :

>Alex, I can't get back to your posting re the Chocolate Death cake, so I
>will piggy-back this message to ask you:
>
>When you say to "thoroughly grease and flour a 9" cake pan," I'm
>wondering if you would consider using butter instead of shortening...

Not only would I consider it, you *should* use butter. That's what I use.
Those familiar with this NG know that it would be a rare occasion indeed
that I would use vegetable shortening - there is almost always a better fat
to use. "Grease" in this context simply means "smear with such solid fat as
you prefer". Butter is IMHO the preferred choice.

>#2 question:
>What do you think of the suggestion that many cooks make: to use "cocoa"
>instead of flour when greasing and flouring the pan.

Using cocoa can be problematic because, as you imply, it burns, and also,
it can stick. Cocoa as a dusting agent is less reliable than flour,
although if you're baking at low temperatures (certainly no more than 325),
it's probably OK and of course does mean there's slightly more chocolate
flavour. This particular cake can be tricky to remove if the pan hasn't
really been thoroughly greased and floured, so I don't recommend cocoa
here.

--
Alex Rast