Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Vertical farming

Steve Pope said...

> Vertical farming of a sort has been going on for centuries
> in steeply-sloped parts of Italy like the Amalfi coast
> or southern Tyrolia. All you need is a near-vertical, south-facing
> slope. And lots of labor.
>
> Steve

I don't see how it's going to be cheap or even feasible to provide
controlled artificial sunlight to all the floors year round.

In Kennett Square, PA, "The Mushroom Capital of the World," they VF indoor
farm mushrooms since they can be carefully climate controlled and grow in
the dark so artificial sunlight is minimal, mostly for the benefit of the
mushroom farmers to work their crops. They've been vertical farming for
years, just not 10 stories tall, I don't think.

Since mushrooms grow so fast, farmers can turn over harvests every day in
rotation.

Vertical farmers would need to genetically engineer crops to grow in the
dark. I don't think we're there yet nor should we be, imho.

And what illegal alien with half a brain would go to work in a building to
pick the harvest?

Andy