Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dirty Harry Dirty Harry is offline

Default Good focaccia bread recipie for use with pizza stone?

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 22:22:30 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

>>>One note since you mentioned "new pizza stone" - Be sure to run your

>>oven full bore, like 500-550F and give it an extra 15 min or so of
>>preheat after the stove indicates it's at temp, since the stone still
>>isn't at that point.
>>
>>I've known a lot of folks who got pizza stones and then stopped using
>>them. When I asked them why they always said it didn't seem to help
>>anything at which point I'd ask the oven temp and get some lame answer
>>like 375F. Every single one who got the stone back out and tried it at
>>500F+ like I told them was suitably amazed at the difference and
>>continues to use it.

> Peter Reinhardt recommends that when you are baking pizza, to heat the
> oven for a full hour at least, at it's highest setting, which is
> usually 500 or 550. With the pizza stone in it: like you said, you
> want both the oven AND the pizza stone blazingly hot.
>
> I do this for bread as well...other than just pizza.
>
> Christine

Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have thought of that. The recipe I'm using
calls for 425,
http://www.aspoonfulofsugar.net/blog..._focaccia.html think I
should go higher or try 425 with a really good pre-heat? Or turn it up to
500 and then down to 425 one i put the bread in?