Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Krispy Kreme surprise

On Fri 11 Jul 2008 04:53:55p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Fri 11 Jul 2008 03:18:06p, Gloria P told us...
>>

>> > One of the first Krispy Kreme (doughnut) shops opened a few miles away
>> > from our house about two years ago. Imagine my surprise to see,

driving
>> > by about a year later that it was boarded over and had a "For sale or
>> > lease" sign on the building. And I never even got the chance to

sample
>> > their wares! When it opened the lines of cars for the drive-up went
>> > around the block and the parking lot was jammed for a while.
>> >
>> > Evidently the mystique didn't last long or it was the wrong
>> > location/demographic (in an area with loads of apartments and condos.)
>> >
>> > Walmarts and Targets are still springing up all around, often just two
>> > or three miles from an existing store which closes when the new one
>> > opens, leaving an empty storefront. Ugh.
>> >
>> > gloria p
>> >

>> I don't go to Costco frequently, but I was in the area the other day and
>> thought I would stop in for a few items. Imagine my surprise when I

found
>> it locked up tight and boards over the windows. They had moved in

recent
>> months to a new location about less than 2 miles from the original spot.

> There can be a lot of reasons for those kind of moves, including giving
> the big FU to a city government that is giving them problems. Other
> times, building / land lease issues, developers offering more for the
> land to build some other project, etc.

I think in the case of this Costco store, it was none of th above.
Although I haven't been inside the new store yet, it appears to be
significantly larger than the old one. It is also still in the same city
as the old one.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)